We are thrilled to welcome you to the Inspire Academy and to the Basque Country of SW France. As an international student we have coordinated a unique experience for you. We hope you learn French, make friends, learn about the culture and have a fun, memorable experience. Your next steps are in this handbook.
The Inspire Academy
The Inspire Academy combines language teaching and activities. Students can learn a new language in a fun and productive environment. Activities include sports, hiking, surfing, cultural activities, music, art, board games to even photography.
French is the second most learned language after English! That means speaking both French and English is an awesome accomplishment to have. Here at Inspire Academy we have highly qualified teachers from several French regions ! Teachers are native speakers who take a student centered approach to learning. Inspire Academy is known for its fun, interesting and engaging approach to language learning.
We welcome students from all over the world to the stunning Basque Region of France to learn French and immerse themselves in France’s Southwest culture and lifestyle. Our training methods are unique in that we engage in fun, interesting indoor and outdoor activities, while learning new languages at the same time.
We may go on hikes, visit historical sites, swim, skateboard, surf, walk and talk, learn music, and or paint. It all depends on the students interests, skills, language level and goals. Our teachers are all highly qualified and experienced native speakers. We offer both group and individual lessons. Lessons include grammar, speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- 9 am to 12 pm : classroom based learning
- 12 pm to 2 pm : lunch break
- 2 pm to 4 pm : activities (Surfing, Hiking, Yoga…)
- 4 pm onwards : free time
1. Preparing for Your Trip
- Check the visa requirements for France and make sure to apply for a visa if necessary.
- Book your flights and accommodations in advance to get the best deals.
- Take one of the Inspire Academy online private preperatory classes prior to arriving for your language stay
- Learn about the culture and customs of France to prepare yourself for the cultural differences you may encounter.
2. Getting Around
- Biarritz is a small city, and most of the tourist attractions are within walking distance. Consider renting a bicycle or a scooter to explore the city more easily.
- Public transportation in Biarritz includes buses and trains, and they are an affordable and efficient way to get around the city and the surrounding areas.
- You can choose to live with a host family or in a shared apartment with other exchange students. Living with a host family is an excellent opportunity to immerse yourself in French culture and practice your language skills.
- Make sure to communicate with your host family or roommates about your expectations and preferences.
4. Studying French
- You will be studying at the Inspire Academy in Biarritz, France. It’s important to attend all classes and participate actively in class discussions.
- Practice your French outside of the classroom by speaking with locals, watching French movies and TV shows, and reading French books and newspapers.
- Take advantage of the cultural events and excursions organized by your language school to get to know the city and its surroundings.
5. Culture and Customs
- French culture is known for its gastronomy, art, fashion, and history. Make sure to try local French cuisine and explore the museums and art galleries in Biarritz.
- Be respectful of the local customs, such as saying “bonjour” when entering a shop or restaurant and using “vous” instead of “tu” when addressing someone you don’t know well..
6. Health and Safety
- Make sure to have comprehensive health insurance coverage before you leave for France. You can purchase health insurance through your airline, credit card or independently.
- Familiarize yourself with the emergency numbers in France, such as 112 for all emergency services and 15 for medical emergencies.
- Biarritz is a safe city, but be mindful of your surroundings and avoid walking alone late at night.
- The summer scenery, culture and activities of Biarritz attract tourist from around the world.
7. Making the Most of Your Experience
- Participate in Inspire Academy extracurricular activities to meet new people and make friends.
- Travel and tour different cities in the Basque region during weekends and expand your horizons. Beautiful nearby cities include Bayonne, Anglet, Bidart, St, Jean de Luz, Hendaye, and Bordeaux.
- Keep a journal or a blog to document your experiences and reflect on your personal growth throughout your language stay.
- We hope this student handbook will be helpful as you embark on your journey to study French at the Inspire Academy in Biarritz, France. Bon voyage!
Arrival in Biarritz
When you arrive in Biarritz, whether by car, plane or train, please contact us by text, email or by calling. You can take a bus, taxi or train to your accommodation. If you need any assistance, please let us know ahead of time. Please note, the Inspire Academy is located across the street and a 2-3 minute walk from the train station. Busses stop in front of the Inspire Academy. We will have an orientation session the first day of class.
25 Allée du Moura – Biarritz, Fr.
Ligne Fixe : +33 (0) 5 40 07 55 12
Portable : +33 (0) 7 78 03 89 86
E -mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer festivals and events
Students can attend different events in their free time :
- Biarritz : Festival les Etoiles de la Danse, Biarritz Surf Festival, Biarritz en été…
- Anglet : Fête de la Musique, Surf de Nuit…
- Saint-Jean-de-Luz : Fêtes de la Saint-Jean, Festival Andalusia…
- Bayonne : Fêtes de Bayonne, Fêtes de la Nive
Surfing, beaches, hiking, golfing, water sports…
Looking forward to meeting you in Biarritz
You will learn to communicate in French. We will get to know your language goals and interests and taylor our program to your needs.
You will meet other language learners from around the world. You will also meet the people who live in the Basque country and learn about the culture, history, food and pastimes.
Engage in fun activities
Besides the classroom instruction, we have many fun and interesting activities you can participate in. Surfing lessons, water sports, hiking, museums, art galleries, city walks, painting, singing, and more.
Explore other cities
During your free time, you can explore other cities and take in the architecture, nature, food, and culture of the region.
Download your student handbook
You can find all the information you need in this downloadable document.